Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Vampire Shrink (2007) by Lynda Hilburn



I must confess that  even though I gave these books bad reviews. I think Ms. Hilburn is very talented. I can see it in every idea and the world she created. I wondered if this was one of those raw talent things that I myself as a writer have faced. In a rush to meet time constraints or make a name for ourselves we rushed into things but forgot to polish and probe the books for things that don't make it our best. I wish her the best and will watch her career with interest. I know for a fact I will revisit successive editions of The Vampire Shrink because with talent there is hope.

With that said, it took me a long time to get through this book because it really didn't hold my interest. I can bang out books with the best of them if they hold me in.  I'm not sure what to say about this story. It seemed a bit pointless. When Dr. Kismet (I'm not sure they ever mentioned a last name) meets Midnight, a young, goth woman forced into therapy by her family she is sucked into the world of Vampires. There she meets Alan, an FBI agent in pursuit of a serial killing vamp and Devereaux, the leader of the local vamp contingency. Both are hotter than hot and in definite pursuit of Kismet, who still can't believe in vampires until she has sex with one. Toss in a bad guy with homicidal tendencies, his partner who's split personality and inter-dimensional travel and the whole thing seems like it might add up but the ending builds up to awesomeness then dies a horrible stunted death of an anticlimactic scene. I'm going to read the second book and hopefully it can be redeemed.

1 out of 5 Nerds

Book 2 didn't redeem it at all. I couldn't make it through the first 20 pages. I quit and erased it from my Novel. I think I was still stinging from the first one and had my mind made up. It may in fact have been awesome but I was still in a bad place from Book 1. I do vow to go back a try again when I'm not being a weenie.

No comments:

Post a Comment